PROFESSOR OF INTERNATIONAL ARBITRATION, UNIVERSITY OF GENEVA
PROFESSOR OF LAW, KING'S COLLEGE LONDON
VISITING PROFESSOR OF INTERNATIONAL LAW, GRADUATE INSTITUTE OF INTERNATIONAL AND DEVELOPMENT STUDIES GENEVA
Thomas Schultz practices international commercial arbitration with the boutique firm Penvern & Corniglion, mainly as arbitrator. An authority in the field, he has published six books on international arbitration, including two of Oxford University Press’s important publications: The Oxford Handbook of International Arbitration (co-edited with Federico Ortino, Oxford University Press 2020) and Arbitration: A Very Short Introduction (co-authored with Thomas D. Grant of the University of Cambridge, Oxford University Press 2021). He has founded and is the Editor-in-Chief of an established journal in the field, the Journal of International Dispute Settlement (Oxford University Press). Professor Schultz is also the Chairman of the prestigious James Crawford Prize in International Dispute Settlement (Oxford University Press).
He teaches international arbitration as the Professor of International Arbitration at the University of Geneva, as a Law Professor at King’s College London, Dickson Poon School of Law, and as a core faculty member of the Geneva LLM in International Dispute Settlement (MIDS), a joint program of the Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies and Geneva Law School. From 2018 to 2021, Professor Schultz was Co-Director of the Geneva Center for International Dispute Settlement (CIDS). Since 2020, he is a Board Member of the Swiss Arbitration Association.
Professor Schultz was educated in Switzerland (LLB/JD and PhD, University of Geneva), Belgium (LLM, European Academy of Legal Theory, Brussels), and the UK (postdoc, University of Cambridge).
Languages: English, French, German
- Arbitration: A Very Short Introduction, with Tom Grant, Oxford University Press, 2021.
- Transnational Legality: Stateless Law and International Arbitration, Oxford University Press, 2014.
- Information Technology & Arbitration, Kluwer Law International, 2006.
- Réguler le commerce électronique par la résolution des litiges en ligne : Une approche critique, Bruylant, 2005.
- Online Dispute Resolution: Challenges for Contemporary Justice, with Gabrielle Kaufmann-Kohler, Kluwer Law International, 2004.
- Oxford Handbook of International Arbitration, co-edited with Federico Ortino, Oxford University Press, 2020.
Articles and book chapters
- Double Jeopardy? The Use of Investment Arbitration in Times of Crisis, with Cédric Dupont and Merih Angin, in D. Behn, O.K. Fauchald, and M. Langford (eds), The Legitimacy of Investment Arbitration: Empirical Perspectives, Cambridge University Press, 2021.
- Arbitration Literature, with Niccolò Ridi, in T. Schultz and F. Ortino (eds), Oxford Handbook of International Arbitration, Oxford University Press, 2020, 1-35.
- Legitimacy Pragmatism in International Arbitration: A Framework for Analysis, in J. Kalicki and M. Abdel Raouf (eds), Evolution and Adaptation: The Future of International Arbitration, ICCA Congress Series No. 20, Kluwer 2020, 25-51.
- Rediscovering the Principle of Comity in English Private International Law, with Jason Mitchenson, 26 European Review of Private Law 311 (2018).
- Comity and International Courts and Tribunals, with Niccolò Ridi, 50 Cornell International Law Journal 577 (2018).
- International Arbitration Scholarship: Forms, Determinants, Evolution, in S. Brekoulakis, J. Lew, and L. Mistelis (eds), The Evolution and Future of International Arbitration, Kluwer, 2016, 435-451.
- The Law is What the Arbitrator Had For Breakfast: On the Determinants of Arbitrator Behavior, with Robert Kovacs, in J.C. Betancourt (ed), Defining Issues in International Arbitration: Celebrating 100 Years of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, Oxford University Press, 2016, 238-256.
- The Rise of a Third Generation of Arbitrators? Fifteen Years After Dezalay & Garth, with Robert Kovacs, 28 Arbitration International 163 (2012).
- Cour permanente ou tribunaux arbitraux: quelle juridiction pour le traité transatlantique?, with Florian Grisel, Le Monde, 18 September 2015.
- Arbitrage d’investissement: corriger les modalités de fonctionnement pour éviter les abus, with Florian Grisel, Le Monde, 21 July 2015.